Wednesday 11 July 2012

Recipe: Pea and Lettuce Soup

Ok so I know it doesn't exactly sound mind blowing but I promise this soup is delish!

Serves 4
Ingredients:

425g frozen peas (I use petit pois but I don't think it matters what you use)
2 baby gem lettuces
One medium white onion
25g butter
1 litre stock (I use chicken but veg stock would work too)
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and Pepper
Crispy bacon (optional)

Firstly dice the onion, melt the butter and then add the onion to the pan:

Whilst the onion is softening (try to make sure it doesn't colour) chop up the lettuce and measure out your other ingredients - I've found that a half litre pyrex jug filled to the top with peas is almost exactly 425g and loads easier than measuring.


Once the onions are soft add the lettuce to the pan followed by the lemon juice.  I didn't have any fresh lemons so I used some lemon juice in a bottle.  Then add the frozen peas and stock, stir, season and bring to the boil.


Once the soup has boiled turn down to a simmer and put the lid on the pan and let that cook gently for about 20 minutes until everything is soft.  I use a hand blender to whizz up my soups but if you are using a food processor or proper blender allow the soup to cool first before blending.  Taste the soup to see if it needs any more salt and pepper.

If you are going to add bacon then whilst the soup is simmering pop it under the grill until its really crispy, then once cool break up into small chunks:


Sprinkle on top or stir into the soup and serve:

2 comments:

  1. Do you find you get lots of lumpy pea shells in the soup or is it smooth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never been lumpy, just blend it until you're happy with the texture x

      Delete