Wednesday 4 July 2012

Week 4 Round Up

Sorry this is late, Monday I was at Wimbledon and my Mum has being staying since Sunday so now I've finally got time to tell you how the training is going.

Thursday I did manage to get my threshold run done in the hotel gym where I was staying.  I did the first 8 min easy then 8 minutes at half marathon pace but once that finished I did have to walk for 2 minutes because of the tightness in my calf and some pain where my leg was taped up, then I ran for 6 minutes easy pace and then 10 minutes half marathon pace (did an extra 2 minutes to make up for having to walk). 

Afterwards my leg was a bit sore but the tape and bandage seemed to do a job - god bless www.sportsinjuryclinic.net for their taping tutorial, without it I never would have been able to run.  (tutorial here if you need it: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/ankle-achilles-shin-pain/shin-splints/shin-splints-taping )

On Friday I was taking pictures for a Charity even but once those were taken and developed I had a little time to get a run in so I went back to the gym for my 50 minute run which was meant to be on Sunday.  I wasn't very hopeful for two reasons really, one I don't run that well on treadmills, I find it quite boring and two I was a bit worried about running for that amount of time on my leg so soon after running the day before.

I said to Mr D that I would just try to run for 30 minutes and see how I did after that. There were tv's right in front of the dreadmills and just as I started a new Wimbledon tennis match had started so that seemed like perfect viewing.  At 20 minutes my Nike + running app told me how long and far I'd run and I felt like I wouldn't even make ti to 30 minutes let alone much longer but I just tried to zone out a bit. At 35 minutes I had to pause to stick my tape back down, the sweat on my legs had stopped it sticking - gross.  From there I got to 40 and when you think "oh I've only got 10 minutes left" it feels like nothing and I was so happy when I finished.  I've never run for that long before and when i first looked at the training plan I didn't think I'd be able to do that after only 4 weeks.

So here's the stats for the run:
I'm really pleased with that, I know that's not very fast or anything but I still did it and that's a big achievement for me. 

My X train was weights and some resistance training that I saw in my "Real Women Run" book as I couldn't take my yoga dvd with me.  I really miss yoga feels like ages since I've done any so I might try and fit an extra session in this week.

Speaking of this week here is what the training plan says:

Monday: Rest or v easy 30 minute run ( As always I went for rest).
Tuesday: Easy 30-40 minute run
Wednesday: Rest (might do an hour or so of yoga)
Thursday: 30 - 40 minute easy run (no tempo/threshold run this week?)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: X train
Sunday: 60 minute run

I'm off to my In Law's this weekend so I've signed me and Mr D up for park run.  I know that's only 5k so I'm going to scan in through the start and finish and however long that takes me carry on until I get to one hour.  The other issue is that park run is on a Saturday so my long run will have to be then and I'll  try and X train on Sunday instead.

Sometimes when I'm running and talking about this half marathon its easy to forget the reasons that I'm doing it.  One is to help a friend who wanted to run one before she's 30, the other is charity.  The nominated charity for Run to the Beat is Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research, I'm really pleased to be able to tell you all that on Friday at the dinner of the Charity event I'd be working at I was told that £1000.00 of the money raised that day would be donated to my charity for the half marathon!  The proviso is that I won't get the cheque until I finish the 13.1 miles so that's really helping to spur me on.

Someone who had been at the event that day also gave me £20.00 as his brother had suffered from Leukaemia and he was grateful that I was fundraising for them.  That nearly made me cry a bit!  Nearer the time I'll set up a just giving page but until then if I get any more sponsorship I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment