Wednesday 27 June 2012

Some Things I've Noticed About Running.....

Yesterday as you know was a 30 minute easy run, I decided to go a route into town I hadn't taken before which meant going under the shopping centre and running the whole length of the high st.  Whilst I was on my run I started to think about all the things I was seeing like the man who ate a pasty down SO fast that he vomited some back up on the pavement as I went past (gross) and all the things I really hate about running outdoors.

I started making a list of it all in my brain ready to tell you about and it seemed to help the time pass faster so here it is:

1. People sitting in cafes/out walking/shopping/doing nothing on street corners who shout things at you. - I might not be the best runner in the world but I'm trying!  Yesterday 2 people shouted things at me (I have an iPod on but not so loud that I can't hear things as that would be pretty dangerous).  This only happens when I run on the high st like its a weird sight or something?  Maybe its just the town where I live but I wonder if that sort of thing happens to other people too?

2.  People who take up the whole pavement despite the fact its wide enough for 2 people to pass easily.  This is really annoying, I don't want to have to jump in front of traffic and nearly kill myself or have to slow down and stop until I can get around you.  Usually when you do get round them they look at you like you are so rude despite the fact that you were no where near them and in the road when you came past.

3. DOG POO.  If you have a dog, don't let it poo on the pavement and then just leave it there.  Its hard enough for me to run and carry on without dodging round doggy treats.

4. Getting honked at for crossing a road when a car is turning in there.... clearly I wouldn't have run accross there if you'd put your indicator on or slowed down - I'm not a mind reader!!!

5. Cars that bank up on the pavement when you are running there - particularly a problem when its a narrow pavement and you don't really want to get run over.

6. Cyclists on the pavement.  This really winds me up, the pavement is for people not for bikes, if you don't want to cycle on the road then you have to get off your bike to walk along the pavement.  I had a filthy look from a cyclist for getting in their way yesterday.

7. Pedestrians with headphones in and music on so loud that they can't hear you coming or you saying "excuse me" super loud when you need to get by. 

I sound like a right moaner but in a 30 minute run I think you'll agree all of that would get on your nerves! 

Anyway the run yesterday was alright, I had to stop after 8 minutes to tie up my shoe lace which was a bit of a bummer as when I started again I realised how tight and crampy my calves were, that pain and the fact it was quite muggy aside the run was fine I didn't feel tired or very out of breath so that was good.

What's not so good is that when I finished I could feel a sharp pain in my left calf, just where the muscle meets the shin bone at the front.  I don't think its shin splints as its more to the side  but it is very painful.  I've got a comperssion bandage on it this morning but just sitting down now I can feel it.  I would say running tomorrow is out of the question so I'll get cardio in using the bikes at the gym and do a threshold cycle on that instead.  I'll have to see how likely a run is on Sunday too but if my calf is still painful I'll rest and then restart week 4 of training next Tuesday.  I just don't want to run through it and make it worse.

Will keep you updated.

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I dont really have anything like that as when I use to run we went on to our town moor which is pedestrian only and to be honest, 80% of people on there are either walking or jogging. Never had anyone shout at me either, thats terrible~! Maybe plan your routes in parks etc instead??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its only in the town that it happens and its only happened once before yesterday, I think the warm weather must have brought the idiots out!

      Delete
  2. When I used to live in Reading I got the verbal shouts when I was out and about.

    Living out in the sticks I now just get the car horns and the occasional 'WEEEEEY' out of tradesmens vans.

    I hate people not indicating as well. Last night a boy of about 12 didn't indicate & decided to give me right of way. Whilst it was considerate of him, I still yelled at him for not using his indicator - haha!

    ReplyDelete