Wednesday 13 June 2012

The Benefits of Running

So yesterday's run was good (did I just say that?) when I first looked at the training plan the idea of running/jogging 30 minutes non stop seemed unachievable, and now dare I say it but I think I might be looking forward to Sunday's 40 minute easy run.  Might change my mind after tomorrows session but for now I'm feeling quite positive.

The only downside to all of this is.... I miss weight training.  I know my plan says that on Saturday I can do some light weights but I do miss that ache you get a day or so after a really good session and I can't help but wonder what I'll look like in October before the half - I wonder whether I'll have changed that much, lost some of my muscle that Jillian worked me so hard for, or have even more.  If running could do something about my big thighs I'd be quite happy about that.  I guess we'll have to wait and see and I suppose the only way to tell the difference is to dig out the camera again.  Expect pictures this weekend. Gulp.

On Saturday I think I might weight train instead of Yoga, it depends what I can fit in as I'll be in Wales for Father's Day.  If my brother is home I might see if he'll train me, otherwise it'll be just me, my yoga mat and Shiva Rea on the dvd player.

To help stop getting in a funk about running vs weights I thought I'd do a bit of reading about how good running is and pop down the best bits of what I've read in here to look back on if I'm feeling disheartened with training - because I know at some point that day will come.

SKIN: I'm not sure if its the running, or all the water I'm taking on to stay hydrated for my runs but my skin is feeling really good at the moment and also looking better.  So off to Dr Google and found a webpage called 30 things every woman should know about running which informed me that: "running stimulates circulation, transports nutrients and flushes out waste products. All of this leads to a reduction in subcutaneous fat, making skin clearer and facial features more distinct"

THINKING TIME:  There is something really great about going out for a run with my music on and just zoning out for half an hour or so.  I found that when I ran with Mr D on Sunday I couldn't do that, I was thinking about how far ahead he was and if he'd go the right route and stuff - it wasn't the same.  What with work, and home life (especially with the move at the moment) its great just to have 30 minutes to yourself, I really appreciate it.

RUNNERS HIGH:  I don't know if this is scientifically proven but you can't argue that when you've finished a run (or any exercise really I find) you have that brilliant sense of satisfaction and dare I say smugness?  Either way its those lovely little endorphins pumping around your body that's helping you to feel that way and its ace.  Must try hard to remember that feeling when its cold and wet outside and I don't want to go running.

SLEEP:  I've read loads of articles that say regular exercise and in particular running can help you to get a good nights sleep and to sleep longer when you do.  Since I've started the training I've noticed in the last week that I'm sleeping better and not waking so many times in the night like before.  Whether its to do with running itself or the fact that I'm so knackered afterwards I'm in a post run coma is up for debate.

So I suppose I'd better tell you how the diet side of training is coming along.  Yesterday was a really good day I think.  An Acitmel as soon as I got up, breakfast was 40g oatbran 100ml semi skimmed milk, half a graze punnet which contained cherry sultanas, blueberry cranberries, raisins and pineapple, and a heaped teaspoon of 4 seed mix. No morning snack, not hungry.  Lunch was this:

Photo: Mmmm delicious minestrone for lunch
A flask of homemade Minestrone soup, a wholemeal pitta with one slice of mustard coated ham.

As an afternoon snack around 3:30pm I had half a wholemeal seeded bagel with 15g of crunchy organic peanut butter as pre run fuel.

After running I had 45g protein powder mixed with 100ml of organic whole milk and some water.

Dinner was this:



That's a homemade falafel burger, one sweet potato cut into "chips" half an orange pepper a 2inch piece of cucumber and some mixed salad.  it was delish.  I was meant to have hummus with that but totally forgot.

Total Calories: 1541/1767
5 a day? I'd say at least 2 at dinner, 3 in the soup, and probably a half for the dried fruit at breakie- get in.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you can feel how your skin improves and your sleep is getting better! I felt the exact same way when i changed my lifestyle! (: Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Its weird how fast I have been able to notice the difference, and making me want to keep going with the exercise, water and healthy eating :)

      Delete