Friday 8 February 2013

Oat Bran 101

I'm not totally sure what it is you're meant to do with oat bran, I first bought it because I wanted a porridge style breakfast but with more of the oat fibre than just the rolled oats gives.  I used to just add it in to porridge but then thought why not just make the porridge out of the bran instead.... and then one of my favourite breakfasts was born!

Again I don't know if that's what you're meant to do with bran and if it is you're probably supposed to make it on the hob but when you work in a tiny office in town that's not going to happen so here's how I make it, and I might be biased but I think it's pretty tasty:

Take 1/4 cup of oat bran (about 35g) and put it in a microwavable (is that a word?) bowl:


Then add about 100ml of milk ( I always add less as if it gets to thick you can add a bit more later) and stir it all together:


Then pop it in the microwave on high for 1 minute (mines an 800w so different power might need more/less time) after that take it out and give it a stir and see if its the consistency you want, if it's too thick put a dash more milk in and stir, if it's too runny then put it back in the microwave for a bit longer until it looks a bit like Ready Brek:


And now the fun bit :) You can put in pretty much whatever you want, protein powder, dried fruit, and for a treat a tsp of chocolate chips is nice.  I normally add in a spoonful of organic dessicated coconut, a heaped teaspoon of crunchy peanut butter and 40g of blueberries:

 
Give that all a good stir up and......

Enjoy!

Thanks to MyFitnessPal working it out for me I can tell you that the breakfast comes in at:
 Calories: 382
Carbs: 28g
Fat: 23g
Protein: 14
Sat Fat: 12 (9g of that is coconut so don't worry)
Fibre: 9g

No comments:

Post a Comment